1. By submitting, you commit to be present for the date of the show.
2. We generally do not feature any writing that requires more than 8 minutes of reading time. We sometimes make exceptions.
3. Please do not include your name or contact information ANYWHERE on your submission. This includes the documen(s) and the title/subject of your submission. Your cover letter may include your name.
4. We publish the accepted submissions in a book every month. It’s ok to submit previously published writings, but let us know where they were published and any additional accreditation we should know.
5. We accept audio submissions so long as you supply the text, too.
1. We choose 1 artist for each month’s covers (and insert) of sparkle + blink.
2. Resolution must be at least 300 dpi @ at least 6.25" x 9.25"
Submissions are open for our first show of 2021, to be held on Feb 1. This will be a virtual event – you do not need to commit to being in the SF Bay Area in order to send in work.
We're accepting writing of all kinds to be performed as a literary mixtape. All selected authors will be paid + published in sPARKLE & bLINK 109, featuring cover art by an artist TBA soon.
This show will be curate by Tom Pyun and a guest curator TBA soon!
Submissions are open through end of day Wednesday, January 6, 2021.
About the curators
Tom Pyun (he/him/his) is a writer and nonprofit worker living in San Francisco. His writing has been nominated for a Pushcart Prize and a Best of the Net Anthology award. Tom has completed fellowships at Vermont Studio Center, VONA, and Tin House. His short fiction and creative nonfiction have appeared in The Rumpus and Joyland and placed in competitions such as The Blue Mesa Review‘s Summer Story Contest. Tom has degrees from Vassar and Columbia and an MFA from Antioch University-Los Angeles.
Shown above: "Trans Source" by Judit Navratil, cover artist of sPARKLE & bLINK 107.
- Send us any kind of writing. Any kind! Make up new kinds and send them to us.
- No one gets more than 8 minutes of reading time. This varies of course but don’t send us more than 1,500 words unless you’ve timed the piece(s) multiple times and your speedy performance of the text somehow enhances it. We sometimes make an exception to this rule, but rarely.
- You may submit more than one attachment, but the word count of your entire submission should not exceed 1,500.
- By submitting, you commit to be (virtually) present for the date: Monday Feb 1, 2021.
- Do not put your name anywhere — neither in the submission itself nor in the subject/title/filename of your submission.
- We publish the accepted submissions in sparkle + blink for every mixtape show. It’s OK to submit previously published writings, but please let us know where they were published so we can give proper attribution.
- You may submit audio, but all submissions must include full text.
- We welcome and encourage submissions in any and all languages, but all submissions must also contain an English translation.
Don't hesitate to contact us for any reason: email@example.com.
About Quiet Lightning
Starting its 12th year, Quiet Lightning is a San Francisco-based literary nonprofit with the mission to foster community based on literary expression and to provide a safe and supportive arena for said expression. Our flagship is the literary mixtape, a submission-based series with a completely blind selection process and different curators for every show, for which there are no introductions or banter. The shows are published as books, handed out free to the first 100 people at each show. All participating artists are paid. We’ve now produced 135 shows, featuring 1,630 readings by 853 different authors in 91 venues and 114 books, curated by 67 people. Quiet Lightning also maintains Litseen.com, a daily calendar of literary events.